Jazzinty is evolving into a whole-year event, continuing to strive towards the world trends in music and supporting Slovenian musicians in year 2022. The workshop will continue its “artist in residence” program, bringing the world-known guitarist Lionel Loueke, a member of the legendary Herbie Hancock Group to Novo mesto, made possible through our collaboration with Jazzcampus program from Basel, Switzerland. The workshop faculty members are leading members of the new wave in jazz music. With this year’s theme: the sound of youth and future, the teachers will present their unlimited creative potential, the use of technology in music and the sound of today.
Workshop Jazzinty is a one-week intense musical education course open for anyone, who is interested in improvised and jazz music, no matter what your instrument or level of education is. We require a basic understanding of your instrument, whereas a past experience in jazz or improvised music isn’t necessary. The workshop is annually attended by 100 participants, coming from all across Europe, USA, even Indonesia, Korea and Africa. We differ from other music workshops with these important concepts:
- the categories are led by systematically selected mentors, internationally renowned teachers and active musicians, who come from different European universities and the vibrant New York scene.
- The intense, one-week educational module on the highest level is being taught from basic, intermediate and advanced levels with a focus on individualism and stimulating a personal voice.
- The participants have a unique opportunity of playing in international combo ensembles, which are organized before the start of the workshop by analyzing your reference videos. Playing music with musical colleagues from all around the world is a priceless experience for any young musicians.
- The networking, which happens through relaxed and informal meetings among mentors, students, audiences and journalists is always vibrant and bears creative fruit. Jazzinty is often the beginning of a new musical project, a new ensemble, a new international cooperation or a first-hand look into studying jazz abroad.
- Jazzinty has a rich, 20-year old tradition of organizing, which is shown in our past educational programs, concert events and our professional infrastructure and technical capacities.
Workshop takes place from Monday till Saturday (accommodations till Sunday morning). It is possible to apply to only one category / mentor with whom participants will attend combo rehearsals in the morning, afternoon lectures and individual lessons.
Method of payment is bank transfer. Participants will receive payment reciept on first day at registration. If the payer is a legal entity, you must send your data by mail and organizer will send you an invoice. If the payer is different from the applicant, enter the information of the payer and the person to whom you pay at the bottom of the application in the window »Notes«.
- Subject of payment: registration fee Jazzinty
- Recipient: Zavod Novo mesto, Novi trg 5, 8000 Novo mesto, Slovenia
- Bank: Banka Slovenije, Ljubljana
- IBAN: SI56 0110 0600 8342 993
- SWIFT: BSLJSI2X
- Reference: NRC 00 21502
HOW TO APPLY
Application is possible via registration form on our website. You will receive confirmation of acceptance on e-mail. Deadline for the submission of the applications is August 1st, 2022. The number of participants is limited.
Applicants must fully pay the workshop fee before coming to Jazzinty. Payment is possible by bank transfer or postal order as explained under “Payment” section. Prices (VAT incl.):
- active participation I. (regular price for all categories for 6 days): 250,00 €
- active participation II. (regular price for “Introduction to jazz” for 6 days): 150,00 €
- passive participation I. (all lectures): 50,00 €
- “artist in residence” group lesson (Lionel Loueke): 50,00 €
10% discount (discounts do not sum up!):
- If application and payment is before June 30, 2022,
- in case of three persons applying together (all three must fill the application form and state the other two persons)
5% discount (discounts do not sum up!):
- for ex-participants, students, pensioners and disabled people
BED AND BREAKFAST
Bed with breakfast is available in Hostel Situla in town centre, max. 300m from all festival locations. Participants can choose between 2 to 8 bed dorms with shared TWC from 20 € to 30 € (per pers./day). You select your accommodation (if needed) in the application form. Accommodation is paid on first day at registration in hostel.
To book a high-standard room or single room check at Hotel Center / Pri Belokranjcu.
Phone: +386 40 627 427 (Domen Bohte)
EDUCATIONAL AND NON-EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP PROGRAMMES
All the participants are placed into different combo ensembles, where they will rehearse the repertoire for the Saturday’s participant’s concert. The rehearsals take place in the music school and are assembled after analyzing the participants reference videos. The combo ensembles are led by mentors of the workshop and focus on each mentor’s original music and their personal style.
The afternoon part of the educational process begins with group lectures about different musical thematics. This year’s lectures will focus on the theme of the production - technology in music. The lectures will cover a wide array of topics, ranging from the use of technology in music, electronic influences in jazz music, digital media, composition, arranging, etc.
Individual and group mentor lessons
The mentor lessons take place in the afternoon in the music school. Every participant has individual or group lessons with his mentor of choice. The small groups are assembled by the mentor on the first day, focusing on the participants level or style of playing and the capacity of the individual category.
The integral part of the education process are the evening jam sessions. The stage is ready and set for playing after 10 pm every night in the Cultural center. The participants can play and improvise with their colleagues, mentors and other guests.
In the same week, the workshop will be accompanied by a jazz festival, the programme of which will include concerts by the most prominent representatives of the contemporary Slovenian, European and world jazz platform. This year's festival will be marked by the sound of youth and future.
This year’s edition of Jazzinty focuses on Slovenian and international mentors with incredible teaching abilities, a unique creative approach to music and international recognition.
Artist in residence: Lionel Loueke
Vocals: Sara Gazarek
Trumpet and brass: Tomaž Gajšt
Saxophone and woodwinds: Wanja Slavin
Piano and keyboards: Jason Lindner
Guitar: Samo Šalamon
Bass guitar and double bass: Panagiotis Andreou
Drums: Bojan Krhlanko
Introduction to jazz: Patricija Škof