In accordance with Article 9 of the Rules of the International Competition of Singers of Classical Music, the Committee of the International Singing Competition SGSM 2023, the Municipality of Novo mesto and the Institute of Novo mesto, as part of the 8th International Music Festival SGSM 2023 festival are launching a call for applications for
THE 5TH INTERNATIONAL SINGING COMPETITION SGSM 2023
Novo mesto, 1st – 3rd June 2023
The competition will be held for the following categories (genres):
- a singer and pianist duet
- a solo singer accompanied by the official competition pianist
The competition will be carried out in two stages:
- the selective singing competition (the preliminary round) in all categories: Friday, June 2nd 2023
- the final competition in all categories: Saturday, June 3rd 2023 in the form of a concert
The final competition for the opera category will be accompanied by an orchestra.
In the event of a higher number of applications, the schedule of the competition may change. The preliminary round of the competition starts on Thursday, June 1st 2023.
The final concert will be held on Saturday, June 4th 2022, with orchestra accompaniment in the Opera category.
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
The competition may be entered by Slovenians and foreign nationals.
The competition may be entered by singers and pianists born in 1988 or later.
By submitting an entry (sending an application) for the competition, the competitor agrees to the Rules of the Competition and undertakes to perform at the final concert. In such case, he or she will waive any sort of payment or financial compensation. The same shall also apply to the recording of the final concert.
APPLYING FOR THE COMPETITION
The competitors/entrants may register for the competition by submitting a completed application form available at
A CALL FOR APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION FORM FOR 5th INTERNATIONAL SINGING COMPETITION SGSM 2023 you find here → HERE
The following information must be included in the application form:
- full name of the entrant
- address: street, town, country
- year of birth, country of birth
the chosen category (opera, lieder); the entrant may apply for an individual genre or two genres – in either case, they only pay one registration fee.
The following documentation/attachments must be submitted along with the application form:
- a PDF version of the application form with a handwritten signature by an adult entrant
or a signature of the entrant's legal representative if the entrant has not yet reached the age of 18,
- a PDF version of the birth certificate or a valid identity document
- a PDF document as proof of payment of the registration fee
- sheet music for the piano accompaniment in PDF format
- a short CV
The application entries should arrive no later than April 25th 2023. The applications arriving after this date will not be considered.
The competition programme may not be altered after registration.
- EUR 70 for the competitors who provide their own accompanist
- EUR 100 for the competitors whose accompanists are provided by the organizer
- EUR 140 for competitors performing in the singer–pianist duet category (total amount for both competitors)
The registration fee must be paid by April 25th 2023 to the following account:
The Institute of Sports, Culture, Tourism and Youth Novo mesto
Novi trg 5
8000 Novo mesto
Current account: SI56 01285-6030358748, IBAN: SI 56 0128 5603 0358 748
SWIFT (BIC): BSLJSI2X , NLB, d. d., Podružnica Dolenjska, Seidlova cesta 3, Novo mesto
Reference number (must be entered): 00 20401
Description: SGSM registration fee
THE COMPETITION PROCESS AND SCHEDULE
The competition schedule is prepared for each individual day by the organizing committee of the competition on the basis of the list of registered competitors. The basis for the preparation of the competition schedule is the registered duration of each entrant's competition programme.
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND THE COMPETITION PROGRAMME
The terms and conditions specify the time limits, mandatory compositions and other requirements regarding the performance of the programme that do not automatically arise from the rules of the competition or this call for applications.
- The competitors in all categories must perform the entire programme from memory in the original language and in accordance with standard performing practice.
- At the request of the committee or the organizer, the competitors must submit the sheet music of the performed compositions in the original edition.
- Competitors typically provide their own accompanists. The competitors who want their accompanist to be provided by the organizer must specify that in the application form.
- The performances may not exceed the prescribed duration. The panel may interrupt the candidate if he or she exceeds the permitted duration of the entire performance.
- The order of performers will be determined based on a random selection made by a computer application.
- The song order of individual performances may be chosen by the competitors themselves.
The preliminary round – the duration of the performance may not exceed 10 minutes or be less than 6 minutes and at least two arias are required;
- an aria by W. A. Mozart
- an aria of your own choice
The arias must be from different periods and in different languages (in the original language).
The finals – the duration of the performance may not exceed 15 minutes or be less than 10 minutes and at least three arias are required;
- arias must be from the list submitted by the organizer (for the finals with the orchestra)
- the arias must be sung in at least two different languages
- all the arias must be sung in the original language
The preliminary round – the duration of the performance may not exceed 10 minutes or be less than 6 minutes;
- a lied by Franz Schubert
- a lied by a French composer
- a lied of your own choice
The finals – the duration of the performance may not exceed 20 minutes or be less than 15 minutes;
- a song cycle or a selection from a song cycle or a theme lasting 10–15 minutes
- a song by a Slovenian composer written after 1960 (the list of suggestions will be published by the organizer)
- a song by a Slavic, English or American composer
All the songs must be sung in their original language.
PANEL OF JUDGES
Prof. Barbara Jernejčič Fürst, president of the panel, AG Ljubljana, Slovenia
Simon Krečič, conductor and artistic director of SNG Opera Maribor, Slovenia
Prof. Nejc Lavrenčič, Zavod PerArtem, Slovenia
Winnfried Hofinger, Agentur Tennigkeit, Germany
AWARD CERTIFICATES, PLAQUES AND REWARDS
1st prize in the Opera category: the Municipality of Novo mesto Golden Plaque, EUR 1,000 cash prize and a role in an opera produced by the Institute of Novo mesto
1st prize in the Song category: the Municipality of Novo mesto Golden Plaque, EUR 1,000 cash prize (EUR 2,000 for a singer and pianist duet) and a concert produced by the Institute of Novo mesto
2nd prize in either category: the Municipality of Novo mesto Silver Plaque, EUR 500 cash prize and a performance within the concert cycle of the 9th SGSM Festival 2024 in Novo mesto
3rd prize in either category: the Municipality of Novo mesto Bronze Plaque and a performance within the concert cycle of the 9th SGSM Festival 2024 in Novo mesto
A special prize awarded to a promising competitor below the age of 24.
It is awarded for each of the categories.
The organizer reserves the right not to award all prizes.
The contact person for providing information and explanations:
Matevž Novak, cultural coordinator
00386 (0) 7 620 18 78
00386 (0) 51 390 082
Novo mesto, 27 January 2023
Head of the SGSM Competition: Matevž Novak
Head of the SGSM Committee: Irene Akweley Yebuah Tiran